I have been looking for the perfect bran muffin recipe for a very long time. The best one I have ever made is “Apple Sauce Bran Muffins,” which is adapted from a Quaker Flour “Banana Bran Muffin” recipe. Whether you use apple sauce or mashed-up bananas, these muffins remain moist and soft. For a healthy treat, one is perfect with a little Becel, warmed in the microwave for a few seconds. You can bake up a few dozen muffins and freeze them – they will unthaw to the perfect, soft and fluffy state for lunches and breakfasts on-the-go.
1 ¼ cups All-Purpose Flour
½ cup Quick Oats
½ cup Natural Bran
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1/3 cup Lightly Packed Brown Sugar
1 cup Apple Sauce
½ cup Buttermilk or sour milk (Sour milk can be made by adding lemon juice to 1 cup milk).
2 tbsp. Molasses
¾ cup raisins
1. Combine flour, oats, bran, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix oil, brown sugar and egg together thoroughly in another bowl.
3. Stir in apple sauce, butter or sour milk and molasses.
4. Make a ‘well’ in your dry ingredients bowl and add liquid ingredients all at once to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
5. Stir in raisins.
6. Put muffin papers in muffin tins or grease muffin cups and fill muffin cups ¾ full.
7. Bake muffins at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes (I find it takes less than 20 minutes depending on your oven) or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
8. Makes 1 dozen muffins. Enjoy!