Christmas Tree Cookies
Christmas Tree Cookies are a spice cookie (an alternative to Gingerbread) that has been passed down for generations in my family. They are soft and delicious and can be iced with different colored icings and various sprinkles after they have sat a day. Ever Christmas I remember having them in shapes of Christmas trees, stars, and angels on Christmas Eve with a bunch of other tasty snacks and Christmas sweets. They are a great recipe to make with kids who can actively help decorate them and delightful to eat for all ages.
2 ½ cups Robin Hood Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Cloves
2 tsp. Ginger
1 ½ cups Sugar
1 cup Butter or Margarine
2 tbsp. Corn Syrup
Christmas Cookie Cutters
¼ cup soft Butter or Margarine
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 tbsp. Milk
1 ½ cups Icing Sugar
Food Coloring – a few drops
- Spoon or pour flour into dry measuring cup. Level off measuring cup and pour onto waxed paper. Add baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Stir well and blend.
- Cream together sugar, butter, and egg thoroughly in a separate bowl. Add corn syrup and blend well.
- Gradually add flour/soda/spices mixture into bowl and blend together well.
- Put cookie dough into the fridge to chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- Roll out portions of dough onto a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out Christmas trees and other Christmas shapes with cookie cutters and place onto cookie sheets (air bake cookie sheets are the best!)
- After allowing cookies to cool, and sit in air tight containers for a day, make up batches of different colored icing according to the recipe below:
- Cream ¼ cup soft butter with 1 cup icing sugar
- Beat 1 tsp. Vanilla, 1tbsp. milk and ½ cup icing sugar into mixture
- If needed, gradually at 1 tbsp milk into icing until icing is smooth or add a bit more icing sugar if icing is too thin.
- Add food coloring into batch of icing until desired color is reached.
- Ice cookies with desired color of icing and add sprinkles to each cookie.
- Store cookies in sealed containers in refrigerator or freezer.