I’ve been starting the journey of eating a plant-based diet this year, and through this process I’ve cut out gluten, dairy and sugar, which has helped immensely with my mood, acne, fatigue and anxiety. Not to mention, it helped me realize that I’m gluten and dairy intolerant. While I usually eat as clean as I can, sometimes I still get sugar cravings. I’ve been trying to figure out a gluten free/dairy free/sugar free brownie recipe, and I’m happy to say that I finally did!
Because I used eggs, honey and 71% cacao chocolate chips, these brownies aren’t vegan, but you can easily use an egg substitute like PaneRiso’s Egg Replacer, maple syrup and forgo the chocolate chips. You can also make the recipe healthier by using cacao instead of cocoa, which has more nutrients as it’s less processed, as well as organic honey and natural vanilla. I was actually planning on using cacao but picked up cocao instead, so if you use cacao let me know how it went in the comments!
Disclaimer: I hate measuring things, so there aren’t any measurements below. Feel free to play around with ingredients and use your judgement. The brownies turned out perfect my first try, and I had no idea what I was doing, so I have faith in you. You can find all of these ingredients at Superstore, or at most grocery stores.
Earth Balance Traditional Spread
Organic Coconut Flour
71% Cacao Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Organic Coconut Bliss
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease the pan with almond oil, or use a non stick pan
3. Melt Earth Balance in a container in the oven
4. Mix together eggs, butter, honey and vanilla
5. Pour in coacao or cacao powder, coconut flour and chocolate chips
6. Mix ingredients together, adding more Earth Balance or coconut flour if needed. Texture should be thick but easy to spread in the pan
7. Pour into pan, and bake for about 30 minutes until the brownies turn golden brown on top
8. Let the brownies cool for about 10 minutes, then serve with a heaping scoop of Coconut Bliss – vegan, sugar free ice cream.
I hope you enjoy these health conscious brownies. Let me know what you think in the comments below!