Amy Schumer has made some major waves in terms of feminist comedy and social commentary lately. The stand-up comedian, writer, producer and actor is proudly bringing important subjects like body confidence and rape to the mainstream. Her sketch comedy show, Inside Amy Schumer, airs on Comedy Central and has been “tackling the stuff nobody else talks about, like the darkest, most serious thing about yourself” since 2013. The comedian has been making headline after headline about her work and appearances in the media. Here are 6 reasons why Amy Schumer is killing it right now:
1. Her Ms Gala speech inspired everyone with body confidence issues.
In the speech, Amy talks about her fumbling, awkward first time having sex and what she learned about loving her body as she grew older.
2. She confronts the hypocrisy of society telling women to look fresh faced.
In a parody of One Direction’s What Makes You Beautiful, Amy touches on the issue of women being told to wear makeup but look natural while doing it.
3. Her Friday Night Lights spoof opens up a dialogue about rape in sports culture.
The spoof has opened up an uncomfortable but needed discussion about how the issue of rape is often overlooked when it comes to sports heroes.
4. Her movie, Trainwreck, finally portrays what it’s like to date as a woman.
Starring as the main character, Amy gives women a refreshing film about dating with a character audiences can relate to.
5. Her skit 12 Angry Men confronts the reality that is the media right now.
Putting her body on trial, 12 older men in ‘the business’ debate about whether or not Amy’s hot enough to be on television.
6. She makes Ellen Degeneres laugh uncontrollably in her own interview.
The host can’t stop laughing as Amy makes joke after joke about being a curvy woman in L.A.
Can you think of any more reasons why Amy Schumer is killing it? Let me know in the comments below!