There’s nothing quite as satisfying as comfort food when the weather gets chilly, and Mac and Cheese is certainly a staple. But as I recently stopped eating gluten and dairy, I wondered how I’d be able to enjoy the creamy, cheesy dish again. Luckily, I’ve found a way around this, using cashew cream and gluten free pasta. The cashews create a cheesy taste to the coconut cream and I swear it tastes just as good as mainstream cream! The jalapenos give a nice kick to the Mac and Cheese, but feel free to sub them out for veggies or something else that you prefer. And of course, the rice cake ties everything together with a bit of crunch.
I’ve enjoyed a heaping pile of this a few times now and I’m excited to make it for friends on my birthday this weekend. Whether or not you’re gluten or dairy free, you’re sure to love this healthier but just-as-rich version of the dish!
1 can of coconut milk
1 bag of cashews
1 box of gluten free macaroni
A few jalapenos
1 rice cake
1. Set the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop the jalapenos and set aside.
3. Add pasta to boiling water. Cook until soft.
4. Blend the cashews and coconut milk in a blender.
5. Add pasta in a baking dish. Mix in jalapenos and cashew cream.
6. Crumble the rice cake over the pasta and mix in.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the rice is golden brown.
Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you thought in the comments below!